March 10, 2012

Well I made it everyone! It was the worst experience I have ever had though. Flight from KC was fine, short and simple. Landed in Dallas and had a half hour to grab a bite to eat before we needed to board the next flight to Frankfurt. The 9 hour flight to Germany was the worst thing ever! I thought taking the Amtrak for 22 hours was bad, but this was worse for me. I was also setting in the very middle of the plane which didn’t help. They served us both dinner and breakfast on the plane and we landed in Frankfurt, Germany at 7:30am local time. Then it got stressful. It’s not like we missed trains or got lost, in all reality we went exactly where we were supposed to at the exact time. It was just stressful! Mom and Dad can tell you that when we went to Washington D.C. it was a mess trying to figure out where to go and how to do it. Well here it was just like that except worse because everything was in Germany and everyone speaks German. It took us awhile to find the correct train where we then took it to Mainze, got off, got on another that went to Koblenze, got off then took another to Trier. Where we got off and I was able to make a quick phone call home to let everyone know I was alive and that I made it. Then we got on the last train to go from the Northern part of Trier to the southern. Where we only had to walk half a block to get to our flat.


 That is our apartment building and the second is our entry way. We are the door strait back by the stairs.
The Train ride from Mainze to Koblenze was BEAUTIFUL!!!! The train followed the river and winded through hills and all along the way the river was spotted with small towns and beautiful colorful houses. There were barges and boats on the river everywhere and on the opposite side of the train from the river there were steep hills full of vineyards. We later learned from our landlord that this region of Germany is very famous for their wine. This I did not know! J anxious to actually try some of it!
Some of the people we asked along the way didn’t speak English but most of them were very friendly and tried to help as much as possible. Some laughed at us when we tried to pronounce German words or when we asked them if they spoke English they laughed. But all in all, I don’t think we could have made it here without them helping us along the way. Man it was a mess and confusing! Hopefully I get more of this figured out quickly!
Our flat is in a building about the same size as the brick building I live in in Manhattan. But this is a 4 bedroom, one bath and one kitchen which all totals about the same amount of square feet as my apartment in Manhattan, so its realllllly small. We are right on the ground level and from what I can tell there are about 5 levels each with about “3” flats. This place looks like they are completely under renovation and we are moving in half way into it. The kitchen was finished up while we were un packing. It has a microwave, an oven and a refrigerator. No freezer and no stove top, but there is a toaster and a coffee pot! J The bathroom is tiny and when we got here a couple plumbers were in working on it, so who knows when I will actually get to shower next! J My bed room is super tiny about 8’ by 12’ with 2 large windows that face east and open up completely. (don’t worry they lock) I have a Futon as a bed and a super tiny dresser that I somehow fit all my cloths in and 3 yellow chairs. So I have things just kind of setting out everywhere because I have nowhere to really put them. It’s small and cramped but I like it. Kenra and Audrey have a pretty large room to share between the two of them and then the other 2 roommates are out of town until the 14th. So I haven’t got to meet them yet.

 When we got here Elizabeth, our landlord and her friend/boyfriend Victor were here to meet us and show us the place. They gave us pillows, blankets, sheet, and towels, then we all went out to eat and a quick tour of the town. We ate at a local pasta place; I had spaghetti with cheese sauce and ham. My body is freaked out due to the time difference and the bad or lack of food on the plane so I couldn’t eat much but it was delicious. Then they drove us around and showed us a little bit. They are super nice and I am lucky to have found such great people to help us organize and get settled in.

 Elizabeth and Victor are wonderful; they are in their late 30s early 40s and are not married with any kids. They both live here in Trier and Elizabeth went to college and studied abroad to France when she was there and pretty much had everything set up for here living wise. So when we contacted her she wanted to help us out to give us the same experience because it was so wonderful for her.
I will not have internet in my apartment for a few weeks, which is going to kill me. But once I get it all set up and figured out I will feel so much better. Plus we will be going in to getting our phones and bank accounts figured out too! J The countryside is beautiful, especially the river. I haven’t taken to many pictures yet because I was so stressed with getting all the luggage and catching the right train, but the pictures will come soon! J
That is my view out my window!

No comments:

Post a Comment