March 15, 2012

The German Ways part 2....

1     The style here is completely different than home. There are NO tennis shoes, shorts, flare jeans, hoodies, sports clothing…. Everyone wears Skinny Jeans and dress shoes or heals and girls wear lots of Boots with tights, mostly heeled boots also. Lots of the men wear suits or dress cloths and jacket wise is all very nice wool button coats, not many like the one I bought to bring over.  And everything they wear is blacks, browns, tans, and gray. BORING! I bought a pair of Skinny dark jeans to wear (They were reallllllly cheap) so we will see if I can pull off the European Look.

2)      From what I have been able to understand about the education system for children it’s pretty much weird! The children run free pretty much even the really little ones. They go to school early then have a long lunch break when they actually go home, they return back to school. But the kid’s very little kids run in the streets and all over by themselves.

3)      Milk is not refrigerated. When Elizabeth and Victor gave us milk they just put it in the cabinet. And when you go to the grocery store to buy milk it is not a refrigerated section like in America, it is out in the open on a shelve isle.

4)      It is completely legal here to be walking around in the streets with an open bottle of beer or wine. The drinking age is 18 but you can get a drink at a bar and walk anywhere with it.

5)      Converters are required of course, but it is kind of a pain. I can’t plug anything in without using a converter. And I had to make sure everything was dual voltage before I used it. I knew my blow dryer was but I didn’t realize I needed to turn a thing to put it on the higher voltage and I fried the drier… oops!

6)      Diet coke is not called Diet coke here in Europe. It is called “Coca-Cola Light” and we can’t figure it out but it does taste different than normal diet coke!

7)      There are people all along the streets playing instruments or singing. They all are really good!

8)      Drinks are different; they mix a lot of things together and use sparkling water in everything.  They have lots of Coke, Coke light, and Sprite mostly. Then lots of lemonade and Fanta products like lemon, lime and orange Fanta. Lots of juice, mostly apple but some orange also. Then water is mineral water or sparkling water.  They then mix things like apple juice and sparking water, or Coke and orange Fanta, or orange Fanta and mineral water. SO for all that I have tried have been good!

9)      Cars, ok I have talked about cars a lot because they are so different and their style of driving is crazy! But I have noticed that they all park on the sidewalk! Not on the side of the street like America, but literally on the sidewalk! I have pictures. Plus we couldn’t figure out what these stairs were that led down under ground and Audrey and I decided to try and take them. Low and behold EVERYWHERE in the city underground is a giant parking garage!'
 Its J-Lo's car!!!! they are everywhere!
 Literally parked on the sidewalk!!!


10)   In random areas of town they have Gardens. It’s kind of hard to explain but it’s just a designated square mile of land that is nothing but little SUPER tiny houses (and I mean like the size of our chicken house) that we can’t decide what exactly they are.  Some are really cruddy and run down and I think are just used for huts to store gardening supplies and some others are really nice and I think people live in them and have gardens. But the main point is so that people can have a garden, especially people who live in apartments.





11)   ICE CREAM! Ice cream is Huge in Europe! About 3 to 4 pm you walk down the main strip and you pass 100s of people, and almost ¾ of them are eating ice cream! Plus it’s pretty cheap! I had a scoop of it in a cone today for .80 cent euros! 

No comments:

Post a Comment